|Sejong University Classes Spring 2019
Prof. David A. Mason
|Cultural Tourism Management
Tu-Th 13:30 Room 206
HOMEWORK PROJECT ASSIGNMENT:
1. Choose three of the above events that you can & will attend.
-- the more, the better!
2. Imagine that you are working for the Korean Ministry of Sports,
Culture and Tourism, and you are assigned by your boss to review
that part of this annual Festival.
3. Do any website research that you need-to about it and about
this holiday in Korea, so that you understand.
4. Attend the event(s), take notes and photos, including selfies.
5. Write a 5 or-so page report to your Boss (length depends on how
many photos are used; should be at least 4 pages of writing).
6. Your report should evaluate the event(s), from a Cultural Tourism
Management point-of-view. Tell what you found that was good, right,
fun, exciting, interesting, pleasant/enjoyable. And, what was bad,
wrong, not fun / exciting / interesting, or unpleasant. Would you
recommend it for Korea to further promote for more international
tourists to attend? Why or why not? Pay special attention to the
"globalization" factors -- use of languages and such etc -- are they
adequate or not? What do you recommend that they change in the
operation of this event, for next year?
7. MS-Word file. Single-spaced, regular margins and 12-point font!
Do NOT just copy from any internet page!
8. Send this to Prof. Mason firstname.lastname@example.org by May 31st (latest).
9. Mason will judge you on English accuracy and vocabulary,
original self-writing skills, professionalism and content quality;
and how well you follow all the above directions.
No classes May 9th and 14th (Prof's Europe Trip)
Thursday June 6th is National Memorial Holiday
FINAL EXAM -- Thursday June 13th
3 pages, short-answer fill-in-blanks (one-two sentence),
covers ALL that we covered in classes since the Midterm!
No meetings on Tuesday & Thursday June 18 & 20th
Yeondeung-hoe or "Lotus Lantern Festival"
Friday-Sunday May 3~5 & 12 2019 (2563 of Buddhist Era)
Jogye-sa Temple and Jongno Avenue, etc, downtown Seoul
Initial Pagpda/Lantern Lighting Ceremony Wed 04.17 Gwanghwamun
Exhibition of Traditional Lanterns 05.03~05.12
Eoulim Madang (Buddhist Cheer Rally) Sat 05.04 late afternoon
Gigantic Lantern Parade Sat 05.04 early-evening
Hoehyang Hanmadang (Post-Parade Celebration) Sat 05.04 late-evening
Traditional Cultural Events and Performances Sun 05.05 noon-7pm
Yeondeungnori (Final Celebration) Sun 05.05 7-9pm
Buddha’s Birthday Dharma Ceremony (every temple) Sun 05.12 early morning